What is personal protective equipment (PPE)?
Personal protective equipment (PPE) is clothing or equipment designed to be worn by someone to protect them from the risk of injury or illness. PPE can include:
- hearing protective devices, such as ear muffs and ear plugs
- respiratory protective equipment
- eye and face protection, such as safety glasses and face shields
- safety helmets
- fall arrest harnesses for working at heights
- skin protection, such as gloves, gauntlets and sunscreen
- clothing, such as high visibility vests, life jackets and coveralls
- footwear, such as safety boots and rubber boots.